Friday, September 26, 2008

On being a purebred, natural-born Bougie

Last night I realized how tainted I had allowed my bougie-ness to become. I had to drop Tyler off at his “This-is-Your-Last-Chance-Not-to-become-a-Statistic” class so I decided to go sit in Panera and read a book for the duration.

Well going to Panera was the first bougie move.

As it is freezing here, I wanted something hot to drink but not coffee as I needed to make that 9pm bedtime. So I decided to try something I had never tried before – a chai tea latte. Well that has always been a favorite with the soccer mom crowd but I’m a hard core coffee hound so I've avoided it for years. Now I know why.

ZOMG!! THAT SHIT SUCKS!

I had to order a piece of pineapple upside down cake to choke this crap down. It smells divine but it tastes, in the words of the Butterfly, like ass. Are there like health benefits to drinking this stuff? Is this one of those force yourself to drink it because it’s good for you kind of things? Sorry, I must draw a line with my bougie-ness.

So of course that got me to thinking about being bougie.

The asshole and I were in that original wave of buppies in the 80’s. I suppose it was a natural transition as we were both raised as preppies – well me more so than him. We both grew up in the same ultra-elite 98.99% white suburb of Cleveland but I attended the CORRECT PRIVATE SCHOOLS while he only went to the public ones. But both of us hung out with the rich white kids and pretty much grew up like, well rich white kids. (“That 70’s Show” is a damn good representation of our youth only with upper middle class incomes and better drugs. Better living through chemicals FTW!)

True bougie-ness is something you can’t divorce yourself from if you were born and raised in it. Those that come into bougie on their own merit are merely poseurs (read: today's current crop of EBPs) and natural born bougies can spot ‘em a mile away and P&L at their posturing just like EBPs P&L at UEBPs. However, it is not limited to black folks. There are a whole lotta white folks that are poseur bougie as well. Just look down the sidelines of any youth soccer game or at the local Wegmans and you’ll see them.

What the hell point was I making? Oh yeah, limits to my bougie-ness. Chai is poseur bougie. I can’t in good consciousness lower myself to poseur bougie-ness no matter the allure. I must maintain pure, unadulterated bougie-ness. I must remember my roots. I can’t allow the diluted form that now passes for bougie in this country taint me.

And never, ever drink shit that tastes like ass again.

now playing on my iPod - "Down in It", NIN

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home