The end of an era..of sorts
When I was a little girl we had a black and white tv. So did everyone else. If you wanted to watch "color" tv you put this piece of spectrum colored plastic over the screen.
Oh yeah. That REALLY helped.
When I was about 8 (?) my Daddy bought me the first color tv anyone in our family owned. My mother made me keep it in the family room - I couldn't be selfish and keep it to myself. (Bitch) Do you know how long she had that tv? Until just a few months ago when she had to switch to digital. NO SHIT - she had the SAME FUCKING TV FOR ALMOST 40 YEARS. Well yeah, she bought a newer set about 15 yrs ago, but the original one still worked and was in the guest room.
My mother can make anything last far past it's normal expiration date. Trust me.
Well now that we've finally gotten cable after not having tv for over a year, the tv in my bedroom crapped out. So I looked around online for a new one and realized THEY DON'T MAKE TUBE TVs ANYMORE - WHAT THE FUCK? WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN? So I am now the proud owner of a 19" flat screen, dolby digital, hdtv, hdmi tv at the low, low price of $199 at the big box store.
I have arrived. (rolls eyes)
Yet I feel kind of funny about it all. Rather, I feel my mortality more. We used to have fun messing with the rabbit ears, shifting that plastic sheet around so everyone had green faces. Only having one tv in the house that the whole family sat around and watched together. Now we have a tv in every room and each person goes off to their corner alone to do their own thing.
Not all of the innovations of today are a good thing.
Oh yeah. That REALLY helped.
When I was about 8 (?) my Daddy bought me the first color tv anyone in our family owned. My mother made me keep it in the family room - I couldn't be selfish and keep it to myself. (Bitch) Do you know how long she had that tv? Until just a few months ago when she had to switch to digital. NO SHIT - she had the SAME FUCKING TV FOR ALMOST 40 YEARS. Well yeah, she bought a newer set about 15 yrs ago, but the original one still worked and was in the guest room.
My mother can make anything last far past it's normal expiration date. Trust me.
Well now that we've finally gotten cable after not having tv for over a year, the tv in my bedroom crapped out. So I looked around online for a new one and realized THEY DON'T MAKE TUBE TVs ANYMORE - WHAT THE FUCK? WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN? So I am now the proud owner of a 19" flat screen, dolby digital, hdtv, hdmi tv at the low, low price of $199 at the big box store.
I have arrived. (rolls eyes)
Yet I feel kind of funny about it all. Rather, I feel my mortality more. We used to have fun messing with the rabbit ears, shifting that plastic sheet around so everyone had green faces. Only having one tv in the house that the whole family sat around and watched together. Now we have a tv in every room and each person goes off to their corner alone to do their own thing.
Not all of the innovations of today are a good thing.
Labels: plain old stupid shit

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home