Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Survival of the less seditty

I got into a convo with Mr. Davis sometime back about how today's young people - specifically those under 25 have no concept of "making do". They have that whole entitlement/name-brand/gimme NAO attitude. He made the point that if either of us were left with $5 to live off of for the week - housing/food not an issue - we could do it. Today's youth however would LOSE THEIR MINDS.

Well this comes to mind today because of the attitude my kids have due to the need to put a complete freeze on spending these 2 weeks. I'm not talking just cutting back on shit, I'm talking an all out not spending a damn dime for 2 weeks. Drink all the milk and eat all the cereal? Tough shit, no more coming in til payday. No tea, juice, etc after the last gallon is gone. Drink water. Food? Better go dig in the deep freeze and see what I've squirreled away.

My car, which hasn't needed anything major for the 8 yrs I've owned it needed $400 more work than I budgeted for. That brought it to a migrane-inducing $900 that negated all of my side job money for stuff like, oh, FOOD. (Yes, that sorta influenced my previous pessimistic whiney post.)

Now they're also lazy fucks, so despite the fact that they are 22 and 16 respectively, are home FAR MORE than me (cuz like, I work?), are both extremely good cooks, they make no effort to take anything out to defrost so everyone can eat. Of course when I get home it's "what's for dinner?" and the daily response is, "I dunno, I was at work all day, what did you take out/cook?" (No, I don't play that June Cleaver bullshit anymore, they're grown men fer chrissakes.) Usually on the weekends I'll go on a cooking frenzy and make several days worth of meals, or make giganto pots of chili, stew or soup that I freeze.

So now we're on financial lockdown and these "people" are turning up their noses at all the stuff that's in the freezer. Already cooked. In individual serving sizes. Tonight I'm enjoying navy beans with ham. Mmmm. The other people here are laying about looking hungry.

ATTITUDE DON'T FILL YOUR STOMACH, SON.

I've had a total of $15 to live off of these 2 wks. I still have $10, payday is Friday and the Butterfly has fucked me bowlegged. Yeah, I am CRUISIN' to the home stretch.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home