Thursday, January 07, 2010

If I knit fast enough, does it count as aerobic exercise?

Hello, I'm Greer and I'm a knit-a-holic.

After a year of literal tears I have learned to manage dpns. This of course means socks. Socks are as close to instant gratification with knitting as I can get. Granted I've only made 2 pairs - I believe I did say I had learned to manage dpns, not master them - but I MADE them.

For me knitting is about being practical. I make things that can be worn by myself or someone else. Sweaters take a lot of time, but in the end they're USEFUL. Same with socks.

Knitting also keeps me occupied. Constructively occupied. Hence the reason I haven't posted on here in over a month. Of course, it also allows you to meditate on life and the universe. It's taken the place of my actual meditation practice.

The downside of course is I've become even more sedentary. Couple this with a freakish fascination with Rice Krispie Treats (I've made 9 batches since the weekend before xmas) and hey, I can actually see my ass growing. I haven't gotten to the point where I need to go up a size, but that possibility - like my ass - is looming on the horizon.

So now I'm trying to figure out how I can combine walking with knitting. I say this as I can't imagine NOT knitting during downtime. Downtime is rather expansive as I utilize a lot of child labor. Other than work, doing my laundry and making the occasional dinner the boyz have to pay their way around here with housework.

I'm thinking some sort of shoulder bag for the yarn and limiting my walking to the track up at the high school. At least then I don't have to worry about getting hit by a car. We'll see.

I made the Butterfly a sweater for xmas. I was a bit taken aback that he was so thrilled with it. Maybe no one has ever made him anything. I don't know if he actually took it home, he may be hard pressed to explain it to the wife, but it looks very, very good on him. And whether he ever wears it or not, I still feel really good about having made it for him. It was a labor of love.

LCpl Tyler has now decided that I can make him a sweater. This is after months of telling me he would never wear anything I made. (Yes, 16 is still a shitty, shitty age.) So I let him pick out the color and ordered the yarn. He'll get it by next fall, LOL.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home