Thursday, August 13, 2009

Scavenging 101

When I was growing up, my mother and grandmother were always scavenging for stuff. My mother managed to get a truckload full of bricks from a building that was being demolished and used them to pave the back patio. My grandmother used to walk around her neighborhood (or wherever she was) and take clippings from various plants and then grow them in her yard.

As evidenced by the recent free paint dealie I seem to have the same gene.

Today I double-dipped in the free paint fountain. The gentleman who gave me the original 10 gal of paint no longer works for the company. So I've chatted now and then with the guy who replaced him. I threw out the suggestion that should he find he has any left over white semi gloss paint I'd love to have it to do my baseboards.

I am now the proud bearer of a gallon of free white paint. Redecorated condo courtesy of Sparkle Painting.

Scavenging is not that difficult to do. In fact, all you really have to do is open your mouth and ask for something. A person will either say yes, no or give some nominal price. I avoid the nominal price people, I want free shit. Especially shit that no one else is going to be using or will be throwing away. Recycling if you will.

I got a damn near new vacuum that way. One of the dudes at work brought his old one in to use at the office. He had bought one of those fancy schmancy Dyson ones and they didn't need two. Well as I had already bought a new vacuum for the office I appropriated his. Works like a dream. Also does a better job at getting up the cat hair than my old one.

Now if I can just scavenge up a damn near new sofa I'll be happy.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home