The old "bait and switch"
I hadn't had health insurance for, um years. So when I took this job last year I was all excited about getting it and the fact that my boss would pay half of my costs. Well that went right down the toilet after my 90 days when I asked him (cuz I was like STOOPID and didn't ask BEFORE I took the job) how much it was going to cost me. The total monthly premium for me and PFC Tyler was going to be $698 PER MONTH out of my pocket. I told him no, we needed to buy um, like food and stuff and I wouldn't be participating in his healthcare plan.
Over the next 6 mos or so I started developing bad sinus infections, we're talking green snot would be healthier than what I honked out. Well of course NOT having health insurance sucked and I had to resort to home remedies and anything and everything I could find in my herbalism books. Fortunately I'm salaried so the days I took off didn't cut into my paycheck, but the boss didn't like that. In the meantime, I made some changes in the office, rearranged some stuff - particularly my desk. Under my desk I found a mold and mildew area about 6'x10'. Hmm, mold/mildew = me sick. Ya think?
So I showed the boss the problem, explained he needed to take care of it and we could also do some redecorating. Paint the place and get a new area rug because the one under MY desk is you know, a mold factory.
In the meantime, he FINALLY gets decent health insurance. It's an HSA, but he said - now read my lips here - that HE WAS GOING TO FUND THE HSA ACCOUNT FOR THE FIRST YEAR TO COVER THE DEDUCTABLE SO NONE OF US WOULD BE STUCK IF SOMETHING CAME UP.
Note here that I am not always the brightest bulb in the box, but as I manage his business it seemed a) rather expensive for him to do that and b) he's not a nice person. But I spoke with his insurance broker who said the same thing, gave me the premium rates, explained it all to me. Ok cool, affordable health care WOOT!!
Meanwhile, I'm still sitting on top of the mildew farm.
So the insurance kicks in, I take PFC Tyler to the doctor (he hasn't been in like 5 years) and they ran some blood tests. The doctor has some concerns about the results on his thyroid. He wants more tests. Ok, I'm cool with that, I have insurance now, right?
Today I go to the doctor for the first time since PFC Tyler was born. No shit, I haven't been to the doctor in almost 15 years, no pap smear, no mammogram, no nothin' and I'll be 50 in two years. I found a KICK ASS practice and first thing I told them was I wanted Chantrix so I could drop the 30 yr/2 packs a day cig habit. She told me sure, as long as I came back in for a pap smear and a mammogram. We reached an amiable accord.
Well. Ok. So when I get back, the boss comes over and says he wants to explain something to me because I'm the only one who understands how the health insurance works. It appears he is - read my lips - NOT GOING TO BE FUNDING THE HSA ACCOUNT FOR THE FULL AMOUNT THE FIRST YEAR, HE WILL ONLY FUND 25 PERCENT.
Now what that means for me is that I won't have enough in the HSA to cover the high deductable which means all of my non-basic care (like, oh I don't know, blood tests and mammograms) are OUT OF POCKET EXPENSES NOW. Money I don't have. At all. So now my kid needs further testing, I need to make sure my boobs are healthy and I can't afford it. It also means I've been paying almost $200 a month out of my paycheck for both my premium AND the future funding of my HSA for AFTER his first gimme year.
He also won't pay to have a professional company remove the mildew colony under my desk.
After I vote on Tuesday, I am going to call the Health Department and report him for allowing a hazardous working environment.
Next I am going to cancel my health insurance, I need the money more.
Then I am going to AGGRESSIVELY pursue other employment.
Fuck this shit. I am a very loyal, dedicated employee. I work over and above what my job description says. But he's fucked me over one time too many at this point and I'm not taking it anymore. When Obama moves to the white house there are going to be a LOT of open positions in the capitol. Somewhere out there is one with MY name on it with a decent salary and affordable health insurance.
I.am.pissed.
now playing on my iPod "Terrible Lie" NIN
Over the next 6 mos or so I started developing bad sinus infections, we're talking green snot would be healthier than what I honked out. Well of course NOT having health insurance sucked and I had to resort to home remedies and anything and everything I could find in my herbalism books. Fortunately I'm salaried so the days I took off didn't cut into my paycheck, but the boss didn't like that. In the meantime, I made some changes in the office, rearranged some stuff - particularly my desk. Under my desk I found a mold and mildew area about 6'x10'. Hmm, mold/mildew = me sick. Ya think?
So I showed the boss the problem, explained he needed to take care of it and we could also do some redecorating. Paint the place and get a new area rug because the one under MY desk is you know, a mold factory.
In the meantime, he FINALLY gets decent health insurance. It's an HSA, but he said - now read my lips here - that HE WAS GOING TO FUND THE HSA ACCOUNT FOR THE FIRST YEAR TO COVER THE DEDUCTABLE SO NONE OF US WOULD BE STUCK IF SOMETHING CAME UP.
Note here that I am not always the brightest bulb in the box, but as I manage his business it seemed a) rather expensive for him to do that and b) he's not a nice person. But I spoke with his insurance broker who said the same thing, gave me the premium rates, explained it all to me. Ok cool, affordable health care WOOT!!
Meanwhile, I'm still sitting on top of the mildew farm.
So the insurance kicks in, I take PFC Tyler to the doctor (he hasn't been in like 5 years) and they ran some blood tests. The doctor has some concerns about the results on his thyroid. He wants more tests. Ok, I'm cool with that, I have insurance now, right?
Today I go to the doctor for the first time since PFC Tyler was born. No shit, I haven't been to the doctor in almost 15 years, no pap smear, no mammogram, no nothin' and I'll be 50 in two years. I found a KICK ASS practice and first thing I told them was I wanted Chantrix so I could drop the 30 yr/2 packs a day cig habit. She told me sure, as long as I came back in for a pap smear and a mammogram. We reached an amiable accord.
Well. Ok. So when I get back, the boss comes over and says he wants to explain something to me because I'm the only one who understands how the health insurance works. It appears he is - read my lips - NOT GOING TO BE FUNDING THE HSA ACCOUNT FOR THE FULL AMOUNT THE FIRST YEAR, HE WILL ONLY FUND 25 PERCENT.
Now what that means for me is that I won't have enough in the HSA to cover the high deductable which means all of my non-basic care (like, oh I don't know, blood tests and mammograms) are OUT OF POCKET EXPENSES NOW. Money I don't have. At all. So now my kid needs further testing, I need to make sure my boobs are healthy and I can't afford it. It also means I've been paying almost $200 a month out of my paycheck for both my premium AND the future funding of my HSA for AFTER his first gimme year.
He also won't pay to have a professional company remove the mildew colony under my desk.
After I vote on Tuesday, I am going to call the Health Department and report him for allowing a hazardous working environment.
Next I am going to cancel my health insurance, I need the money more.
Then I am going to AGGRESSIVELY pursue other employment.
Fuck this shit. I am a very loyal, dedicated employee. I work over and above what my job description says. But he's fucked me over one time too many at this point and I'm not taking it anymore. When Obama moves to the white house there are going to be a LOT of open positions in the capitol. Somewhere out there is one with MY name on it with a decent salary and affordable health insurance.
I.am.pissed.
now playing on my iPod "Terrible Lie" NIN

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home