A Few Notes to Self
Gouda does not melt well. At all.
Havarti does of course, as does fontina (smoked to be specific - mmm mmm). In my quest to have a delicious, white preppie bougie dinner tonight (stuffed portabella mushrooms, fresh sliced tomatoes, fresh sliced pears and MUCH VINO) I discovered that the smoked gouda I used to top my concoction isn't conducive to melting when broiled. Lesson learned. That however did not deter from the enjoyment of the repast.
I still don't like Chardonnay. Blech.
I do however have an affinity for a good Riesling. I prefer the absence of the flavor oak imparts to a white wine. It makes it far more bitter and darker than the crisp, clean taste of an unpolluted Riesling. (My first husband was a chef who studied at the Culinary Institute of America and had extensive sommelier classes and passed that knowledge on to me, so fuck you, I know my wines.) I have a personal favorite that is mid-range priced and HOLY SHIT I found two bottles from 2005 for under $25 and scarfed them the fuck RIGHT UP. I shall enjoy them the very next night I am home alone. I'm twitching in ecstasy. There are obviously too many snobs at my local wine shop (dorks). I bought and opened a 2006 Cali Chardonnay and it lives up to it's above average rating, but nothing I'd buy again. Really, the wood kills a white wine for me. I may set this one aside for cooking purposes only.
"The Dark Knight" isn't worth watching a 2nd time.
PFC Tyler was disappointed that his plans to spend the night with a friend were cancelled. So I offered to finally watch that damn movie and we had a (rare) stress free night watching this flick. You know, the one with dead-ass Heath Ledger. Of course I had to remind PFC Tyler that he could watch our OTHER movie with Heath Ledger in it - "Brokeback Mountain" about the gay cowboys. I got a dirty look but no mouth. (Yes, I'm evil that way.) I know my son has no prejudice towards homosexuals, his extended family is made up of gays, but he IS a hormone driven 15 yr old, heh. Anyway, the movie was good but not worth me watching a 2nd time. It was too long and frankly Nicholson is the defining Joker for moi.
I'm a better liquor drunk than wine drunk.
Although I get less physically ill from wine (apart from a MASSIVE headache) than from liquor. But I recover better from liquor and rarely get a hangover. I do have to watch what I eat though as the wrong thing or not enough will have me asleep over the bowl. That wine headache is a bitch though and can last 2 days. Currently I'm on an alcohol binge. It happens every couple years where I drink every day (the excuse being I need it to get a full night's sleep). Then I go several years with nary a drink to my name. This go round I'm a temporary wino. Go me!
Havarti does of course, as does fontina (smoked to be specific - mmm mmm). In my quest to have a delicious, white preppie bougie dinner tonight (stuffed portabella mushrooms, fresh sliced tomatoes, fresh sliced pears and MUCH VINO) I discovered that the smoked gouda I used to top my concoction isn't conducive to melting when broiled. Lesson learned. That however did not deter from the enjoyment of the repast.
I still don't like Chardonnay. Blech.
I do however have an affinity for a good Riesling. I prefer the absence of the flavor oak imparts to a white wine. It makes it far more bitter and darker than the crisp, clean taste of an unpolluted Riesling. (My first husband was a chef who studied at the Culinary Institute of America and had extensive sommelier classes and passed that knowledge on to me, so fuck you, I know my wines.) I have a personal favorite that is mid-range priced and HOLY SHIT I found two bottles from 2005 for under $25 and scarfed them the fuck RIGHT UP. I shall enjoy them the very next night I am home alone. I'm twitching in ecstasy. There are obviously too many snobs at my local wine shop (dorks). I bought and opened a 2006 Cali Chardonnay and it lives up to it's above average rating, but nothing I'd buy again. Really, the wood kills a white wine for me. I may set this one aside for cooking purposes only.
"The Dark Knight" isn't worth watching a 2nd time.
PFC Tyler was disappointed that his plans to spend the night with a friend were cancelled. So I offered to finally watch that damn movie and we had a (rare) stress free night watching this flick. You know, the one with dead-ass Heath Ledger. Of course I had to remind PFC Tyler that he could watch our OTHER movie with Heath Ledger in it - "Brokeback Mountain" about the gay cowboys. I got a dirty look but no mouth. (Yes, I'm evil that way.) I know my son has no prejudice towards homosexuals, his extended family is made up of gays, but he IS a hormone driven 15 yr old, heh. Anyway, the movie was good but not worth me watching a 2nd time. It was too long and frankly Nicholson is the defining Joker for moi.
I'm a better liquor drunk than wine drunk.
Although I get less physically ill from wine (apart from a MASSIVE headache) than from liquor. But I recover better from liquor and rarely get a hangover. I do have to watch what I eat though as the wrong thing or not enough will have me asleep over the bowl. That wine headache is a bitch though and can last 2 days. Currently I'm on an alcohol binge. It happens every couple years where I drink every day (the excuse being I need it to get a full night's sleep). Then I go several years with nary a drink to my name. This go round I'm a temporary wino. Go me!
Labels: drunken debauchery, plain old stupid shit

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home